Papillon Photos: Antigua, Guatemala

I have to confess that I messed up. I had a different post planned for today but forgot to remove it from the computer I was working on. Well, that is fine because now I can talk about my favorite country in Central America.

What is my favorite country in Central America? Guatemala, of course. And today is the turn of magnificent Antigua, the third capital of Guatemala (they say third is the charm, right?). The city is famous because of its spectacularly preserved colonial ruins. It is also prominent thanks to the intricate Lent ceremonies celebrated each year. Elaborate carpets made of sawdust and flowers embellish the processions’ paths. The city’s Baroque architecture has won it the honor to be included in the UNESCO World Heritage List (Trivia: Which are the two other Guatemalan sites included in the World Heritage list?)

Boy walking by the street

Beautiful houses lining the street

Unfortunately, I spent only one day at La Antigua. My dream is to go back, stay there a couple of days and use it as a base to explore the rest of the country. There are tons of agencies selling excursions to different parts of the nation. Private buses take you to Monterrico, Atitlan, Coban, Lanquin and other cities inside and outside the country. I am most interested in visiting the Atitlan Lake and the Coban area (Semuc Champey).

Street which take you to the Santa Catalina Arch

Me in front of the Santa Catalina Arch

My husband and I were going to explore the city independently. We actually started to do it but after an hour were approached by a tourist guide. We decided to go with him for a four hour tour. He charged us 10 dollars per person which I believe was a good price because this guy was extremely knowledgeable (he was a certified guide and showed us his credentials).

The cathedral at the main plaza

Another view of the cathedral

We ended up going to places we wouldn’t have found without the guide’s help. Who knew about the allure of buildings in different states of decay? There is a glamour and romanticism that certain crumbling buildings exude. And when I say crumbling, I mean crumbling like in no ceiling. Some churches in the city are semi-destroyed thanks to several earthquakes. But this fact does not minimize the unique beauty of a city who witnesses the pass of time.

Palacio de los Capitanes Generales

View from the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales

Hall at the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales

Fruit Seller

La Antigua is surrounded by three volcanoes: Volcan de Agua, Volcan de Fuego and Acatenango. The Volcan de Fuego is the most active one and is constantly throwing smoke from its top. The Pacaya volcano is also nearby. You can book an excursion to climb the volcano and to see lava up close. It is usually an excursion with duration of about two or three hours and it costs less than 10 dollars.

Volcan de Agua

Antigua, I am sure our paths are going to cross in the future. Until next time.

Let's finish the post in a cute way. Artisanal bread in the shape of crocodiles, turtles and snakes. Cutest snake I have ever seen (and I hate snakes by the way).

Trivia answer: The Mayan ruins of Tikal and the Mayan ruins of Quirigua.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Visit The Mayan Ruins Of Tulum In Mexico

Backpacking Scandinavia Travel Guide (2020)

Where to Stay in Monopoli: Your Hotels & Accommodation Guide